Our mission is to give students and parents a secure venue to create valuable relationships. Your privacy and safety are incredibly important to us. In fact, it’s all we talk about.
- What information Ollie collects from you (and why we collect it),
- How we use and share that information, and
- The choices you have, including how to access, update, and delete your information.
This policy applies to all products and services offered by Ollie Inc. (“Ollie,” “we,” “us,” “our,” and our subsidiaries or affiliates).
Protecting your information is our number one priority.
This policy does not apply to websites or services or practices of companies that Ollie doesn’t own or control, such as third-party services you might access through links or other features (e.g., social media buttons) on the Service. These other services have their own privacy policies, and we encourage you to review them before providing them with personal information.
Ollie is a social network that facilitates connections between students, peers, and parents in their community.
Ollie is a social networking platform that helps students connect with parents and other students in their community. These connections can help students find job opportunities, peers with similar interests, local professionals, and college alumni. Parents have the opportunity to connect with students by providing employment or mentorship opportunities.
When a student sets up an account on Ollie, parents will be notified via email. Parents are encouraged to actively participate in their child’s experience on Ollie, including their profile page, chats, calendar, and offline or in-person interviews, which is why parents have can see everything their child is doing on our site.
How does Ollie protect children’s personal information?
We don’t ask for or require children to provide personal information beyond that which is reasonably necessary to use Ollie. Information collected from students is never used or disclosed for third-party advertising or any kind of behaviorally-targeted advertising, and it is never sold or rented to anyone, including marketers or advertisers.
Protecting children’s privacy is especially important to us – we’re parents ourselves, after all. We do not disclose any personal information about children to third-parties, except to service providers necessary to provide the Service, as required by law, or to protect the security of the Service or other users. Additionally, personal information collected from students is never used for behaviorally-targeted advertising to students by us or any third-party, and children’s personal information is never sold or rented to anyone, including marketers and advertisers.
What information does Ollie collect from children, and how is it used?
Ollie collects the minimal amount of information from students necessary to use our Service. To create a student account, the student (or their parent) must enter the child’s first name, birthdate, and parent email (required if under the age of 18) so we can seek verifiable parental consent and provide parental notice. Once the student is determined to be eligible to participate in the service, the student can create their account by providing full name, email address, home address, and phone number.
Once a student account is created and parental consent is obtained, students will be able to upload a profile photo and write a biography (which may contain additional personal information). Parents will have access to their child’s profile page and may disable a profile.
What personal information is visible to others?
Student profile pages will be visible to others. The information contained on the profile page includes first name, last initial, profile photo (or avatar if preferred), city, state, personally written biography including areas of interest, as well as internally generated reviews.
We will never share last name, address or zip code, birthdate, email addresses or phone numbers.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child who has created an Ollie account and you did not receive an email seeking your consent or providing notice, you can email us at email@example.com to have your child’s account deleted.
Any parents that would like a copy of their children’s personal information that we may have stored, can contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. At any time, parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their children. To request that we delete the personal information we have collected from their child, contact us at email@example.com. Please keep in mind that deleting records may require us to terminate the account in question. Also, remember that before we can share the information with you, or delete it per your request, we will need to verify your identity, for example by requiring that you provide acceptable forms of personal identification.
What types of information does Ollie collect?
Ollie asks for some limited information directly from parents and students (such as account information), and also collects some information automatically (such as crash reports when errors occur) in order to provide you with the best possible Ollie experience.
We collect three types of information about you: (1) information that you voluntarily provide us by using the Ollie Service (described below under “Information you provide to us“) and (2) information collected automatically as result of your use of the Service (described below under “Information collected automatically”), and (3) information collected from third party sources.
Information You Provide to Us
There are currently three categories of users on our Service: parents, students, and non-profits. We collect and store the following types of information from each type of user:
- Account Sign-up and Profile Information: profile page information.
- Messaging: communications you have with other users through the Ollie messaging system.
- Calendar: jobs and events scheduled, along with times and locations.
- Reviews: reviews given and received after completion of a job.
- Contact Information: When you choose to provide us with your personal information through the Service in some other manner (e.g., when you send us an email asking a question, submit a support request, participate in a video testimonial about our Service, or choose to participate in any research efforts with Ollie to improve the Service).
Information collected automatically
The technologies and information we automatically collect include:
- Local storage: We may also use, collect, and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Like many services, Ollie uses these technologies to analyze trends, gather demographic information, understand your engagement with the Ollie Website, administer the Service, tailor the Service for you, and to help the Service work better for you – for example, by remembering your language preferences.
Please read our Online Tracking Technologies Policy for more details on local storage and cookies and similar technologies including how to remove or modify your cookie settings and a list of the tracking technologies we use.
- Device information: We may collect device-specific information such as your device type, device brand, operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how the Service is performing, improve Ollie for you on your particular device, and send you push notifications if you’ve opted in to receive them.
- Mobile application information: Certain mobile applications or “apps” include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to Ollie when you install or uninstall that application, such as when you install the Ollie App, or when that application periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates. Additionally, we may receive application state and crash log information which will help with “debugging” and for improvement of the Ollie App.
- Server log information: Like most online services, when you use our Service, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. Examples include things like:
◦ Details of how you used our service, such as your activity on the Service, and the frequency and duration of your visits to the Ollie Website or Ollie App (similar to TV ratings that indicate how many people watched a particular show)
◦ Telephone log information like your phone number and SMS routing information
◦ IP Address
◦ Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
- This information helps us make decisions about what we should work on next – for example, by showing which features are most (or least!) popular.
- Location information: When you use our Service we may collect and process information about your geographic location, for example through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals. We may collect coarse (i.e., city-level) location data but we do not collect precise geolocation information (“precise” meaning sufficient to identify present street name and name of city or town). We will not store or track your device location on an on-going basis. We do not share geo-location data with third-parties, other than our service providers as necessary to provide the Service. If you no longer wish to allow us to track your location information, you may opt-out at any time by turning it off at the device level.
- Cross-device collection: To provide users with a seamless online experience, we may link your identifiers on different browsers and environments you are using our syncing technology.
Information received from Third Party Sources
How does Ollie use the Information it Collects?
First and foremost, you should know that Ollie does not sell or rent any of your, or your child’s, personal information to any third-party for any purpose – including for advertising or marketing purposes. Ollie does not share personal information with third-parties except in the limited circumstances set forth in the section “Will Ollie share any information it collects?” Personal information collected from students is never used for behaviorally-targeted advertising to students (by us or third-parties). We use the information we collect from you to provide you with the best Ollie experience. More specifically, this information is used to:
- Provide and improve the Service, for example by developing new products and features
- Respond to your emails, submissions, questions, requests for information or customer support
- Customize the Service for you, and improve your experience with it
- Provide parents and students information about events, announcements, offers, promotions, products, including third-party products, and services we think will be of interest to you
- Notify and contact contest and sweepstakes entrants
- Most crucially, to protect our community by making sure the Service remains safe and secure
Will Ollie share any information it collects?
- Other Users You Share and Communicate with on Ollie: No parent or student profiles are made available to the general public through our Service. Please keep in mind that information (including personal Information or children’s personal information) or content that you voluntarily disclose to others – including to other Ollie users you interact with through the Service (such as messages you might send other users) – can be viewed, copied, stored, and used by the people you share it with. We cannot control the actions of people with whom you choose to share information and we are not responsible for the collection, use or disclosure of such information or content by others.
- Third-party integrations on our Service: When, you use third-party apps, websites or other services that use, or are integrated with, our Service, they may receive information about what you post or share. For example, when you invite others via Facebook or Twitter, these services receive the information that you share through this functionality, and information that you are sharing from Ollie. Information collected by these apps, websites, or integrated services is subject to their own terms and policies.
- Testimonials: We post testimonials on our Service which may contain personal information such as the name, photo, and/or a video of the individual in the testimonial. We obtain the individual’s consent in advance to ensure we have permission to post this content publicly. To request removal of your personal information from our testimonials, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Analytics Services: We use analytics services, including mobile analytics software, to help us understand and improve how the Service is being used. These services may collect, store and use information in order to help us understand things like how often you use the Service, the events that occur within the application, usage, performance data, and from where the application was downloaded. A current list of analytics providers that we use is located here.
- Aggregated Information and Non-Identifying Information: We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly, including with users, partners or the press in order to, for example, demonstrate how Ollie is used, spot industry trends, or to provide marketing materials for Ollie. Any aggregated information shared this way will not contain any personal information.
- Legal Requirements: We may disclose personal information if we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to comply with the law, such as complying with a subpoena or other legal process. We may need to disclose personal information where, in good faith, we think it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Ollie, our employees, our community, or others, or to prevent violations of our Terms of Service or other agreements. This includes, without limitation, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection or responding to government requests.
In the unlikely event that Ollie goes out of business, or files for bankruptcy, we will protect your personal information, and will not sell it to any third-party. For more information on our practices regarding your data if we go out of business, please email email@example.com.
- With your consent: Other than the cases above, we won’t disclose your personal information for any purpose unless you consent to it.
- General Data Protection Regulation: The General Data Protection Regulation (“>
Ollie is the data controller for any personal information provided by visitor from the EU via our website. Ollie does not have a data protection officer in the EU. Any information that you provide to us will be stored in the United States. We do not intend to transfer your personal data to another country or international organization.
Under the GDPR, individuals are granted the following rights:
- Right of access – to request access to your personal information and information about how we process it.
- Right to rectification – to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed.
- Right to erasure – to have your personal information erased.
- Right to restriction of processing – to restrict processing of your personal information.
- Right to data portability – to electronically move, copy or transfer your personal information in a standard form.
- Right to object – to object to processing of your personal information.
- Rights with regards to automated individual decision making, including profiling –rights relating to automated decision making, including profiling.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection regulator in Europe where you reside. If you have any questions about your rights, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does Ollie protect and secure my information?
Your Ollie account is protected by a password. You can help us protect against unauthorized access to your account by keeping your password secret at all times.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We work hard to protect our community, and we maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure of or access to personal information. In particular:
- Our engineering team is dedicated to keeping your personal information secure.
- We work with a team of security researchers to continually test Ollie’s security practices for vulnerabilities.
- We periodically review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We continually develop and implement features to keep your personal information safe – for example, when you enter any information anywhere on the Service, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL/TLS) by default.
- We ensure passwords are stored and transferred securely using encryption and salted hashing.
- The Ollie Service is hosted on servers at a third-party facility, with whom we have a contract providing for enhanced security measures. For example, personal information is stored on a server equipped with industry standard firewalls. In addition, the hosting facility provides a 24×7 security system, video surveillance, intrusion detection systems and locked cage areas.
- We automatically delete inactive student accounts after a specific period of time, as per our retention policy, described in the “How long does Ollie keep information about me?” section.
For additional information on our security practices, please visit our Privacy Center.
Although we make concerted good faith efforts to maintain the security of personal information, and we work hard to ensure the integrity and security of our systems, no practices are 100% immune, and we can’t guarantee the security of information. Outages, attacks, human error, system failure, unauthorized use or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify you electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that you can take appropriate protective steps; for example, we may post a notice on our homepage (www.ollieopps.com) or elsewhere on the Service, and may send email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Ollie’s commitments to providing Transparency and Choice
As you can see, we try to be transparent about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:
- Access and manage your account information by using the account settings within Ollie
- Delete your information from Ollie
- Take information out of Ollie
Can I opt-out of providing information?
You can always decline to share personal information with us, or even block all cookies. However, it’s important to remember that many of Ollie’s features may not be accessible, or may not function properly.
How can I access and manage my personal information?
Ollie aims to provide you with easy access to any personal information we have collected about you. If that information is incorrect, we give you easy ways to update it, or to delete it, unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business (e.g., we need at least an email address for your account) or legal purposes.
- Accessing Your Information: Upon request, Ollie will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information, and, if you are a user of Ollie, you may request access to all your personal information we have on file by contacting us at email@example.com. In some cases, we won’t be able to guarantee complete access due to legal restrictions – for example, you will not be allowed to access files that contain information about other users or information that is confidential and/or proprietary to us.
- Managing Your Information: You may update, correct, or delete some of your profile information or your preferences at any time by logging into your account on Ollie and clicking on tab next to your profile picture. You may have to verify your identity before you can do that. You may also, at any time, update, correct, or delete certain personal information that you have provided to us by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
- Accessing Your Child’s Information: Take a look at our “Parental Choices” section to see how you can obtain copies of your child’s personal information.
We may reject requests for access, change, or deletion that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, even after you update or delete personal information you have provided us from our Service, your personal information may be retained in our backup files and archives for a reasonable period of time for legal purposes or for so long as is necessary in light of the purposes for which such records were collected or legitimately further processed.
How can I delete my account?
We hope you love using Ollie now and always. However, if for some reason you ever want to delete your account (or your child’s account, if you are his or her parent), you can do that at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. If you are a parent using the Ollie Website, you may also delete your account by logging into your account and accessing your account settings page.
When you delete your account, we delete your profile information and any other content you provide in your profile (such as your name, username, password, email address, and profile photos) and depending on the category of user you are (i.e., parent, student) any information collected through the mobile permissions you’ve granted. Information that you have shared with others, others have shared about you, or content other users may have copied and stored, is not part of your account and may not be deleted when you delete your account.
How long does Ollie keep information about me?
We store your personal information for as long as it is necessary to provide products and Services to you and others, including those described above. Personal information associated with your account will be kept until your account is deleted, unless we no longer need the data to provide products and services, in which case we will delete prior to you deleting your account.
Please note that we may have to retain some information after your account is closed, to comply with legal obligations, to protect the safety and security of our community or our Service, or to prevent abuse of our Terms of Service. You can, of course, delete your account at any time, as per the “How can I delete my account?” section.
3-Tier Student Data Protection Policy: In addition to the policy above that applies to all users, we only keep a student’s personal information while the student’s account is active, unless we are required by law to retain it, need it to ensure the security of our community or our Service, or to enforce our Terms of Service.
What communications will I receive from Ollie?
If you registered on Ollie, provided an email or phone number to us, or otherwise opted-in to receive communications from us, we may send you messages and updates regarding your account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Service, and information regarding products, features, or services from Ollie (or third-parties we believe you may be interested in). These communications may include, but are not limited to, social media updates, SMS/MMS messages, push notifications, email, and postal mail. If you have an account with us, we’ll also use your email address to contact you for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise in the course of business. We may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us if your device supports it. We use this confirmation to help us understand which emails are most interesting and helpful.
If you invite another person to join you on Ollie by providing their email address or phone number, we may contact them regarding the Service using the appropriate form of communication. If they would prefer not to receive our communications, they may opt-out using the “Unsubscribe” or “STOP” instructions contained in those communications.
You can always unsubscribe from receiving any of our 1) marketing emails or other marketing communications whenever you’d like by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email, or 2) marketing push notifications by turning off push notifications on your device.
Social Media Features/Widgets
How will Ollie notify me of changes to this policy?
In addition, if we ever make significant changes to the types of personal information we collect from children, or how we use it, we will notify parents in order to obtain parental consent or notice for those new practices.
California Privacy Disclosures
Do Not Track: Currently, various browsers offer a “do not track” or “DNT” option that relies on a technology known as a DNT header, which sends a signal to Web sites visited by the user about the user’s browser DNT preference setting. Ollie does not track its users over time and across third-party websites to provide behaviorally-targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. For more information on “do not track”, please visit www.allaboutdnt.org.
Third-parties that have content embedded on the Ollie Website, such as a social feature, or an embedded video player, may set cookies on a user’s browser and/or obtain information about the fact that a web browser visited the Ollie Website from a certain IP address. Third-parties cannot collect any other personally identifiable information from Ollie’s websites unless you provide it to them directly.
Notice for Minors (users under 18):
If you are under the age of 18, or the parent of a child using Ollie under the age of 18 residing in California, you are entitled to request removal of content or information you (the minor) have publicly posted on our Service. Currently, we do not allow minors to post content to share publicly, but we do still allow minors the option to delete personal information associated with their user accounts or content that they upload through their student account (which is not shared publicly. If you are a minor, and would like to delete personal information associated with your account or content you uploaded through your account, please follow the directions set forth in the “Ollie’s commitments to providing Transparency and Choice” section. Although we offer deletion capabilities on our Service, you should be aware that the removal of content may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of that content or information posted through the Service, as there may be de-identified or recoverable elements of your content or information on our servers in some form. Additionally, we will not remove content or information that we may be required to retain under applicable laws.
Ollie Opportunities, Inc.
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
5742 15th Street North
Arlington, VA 22205
Last Updated: January 1, 2019